Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Just to be clear, she did not ask to be involved, she was drawn in.

She is not the President.  She is a private, politically active citizen.  She does speak with greater clarity than the President and with much greater courage.  She has a job and I'm sure makes a very good living as a commentator.

What you little boys have against her is beyond me.  And before you open your pie holes (figuratively), remember she was accused (even by our friend Eric) within hours of the event of being responsible for the heinous act.

PALIN:  I read my name in the reports, and then I read Rush Limbaugh and then soon your name, Sean, and Mark Levin and soon Tea Party Patriots and soon the entire state of Arizona was being falsely accused of somehow being accessories to this horrendous, horrendous crime.  That is why I was puzzled the first as to why -- before facts were even gathered, why -- it would be that the mainstream media would start accusing and using such a tragedy for what appeared to be, right off the bat, some political gain.

?    "Well, what can you tell us about this map, crosshair map?"

PALIN:  For many, many years maps in political races have been used to target certain districts that people would feel that they can get into those districts and find someone whom they believe would represent the constituents' will better than an incumbent.  That's not original.  In fact, Democrats have been using it for years.  In fact, Bob Beckel I believe he had bragged on your show, Sean, that he was the one who invented these crosshairs or these targets.  (Eric, this kind of puts your, let's call it  "premature" cross hair post into context, the context being false outrage for the purpose of political gains resulting in a...Blood Libel!)

?   Does this impact your political future?

PALIN:  They're not going to shut me up. They're not gonna shut up Tea Party Patriots or those who, as I say, respectfully and patriotically petition their government for change.  They can't make us sit down and shut up, and if they ever were to succeed in doing that then our republic will be destroyed.

?    "Let me ask you about 'blood libel.' Some of your critics are saying that you didn't know the historical significance; others criticized you for the phrase.  I want you to address the timing and that phrase.  What is it?"

PALIN:  "Blood libel" obviously means being falsely accused of having blood on your hands.  In this case that's exactly what was going on and, yes, the historical knowledge that people have of the term blood libel, it goes back to the Jews who were falsely accused back in medieval European times of using the blood of children and  you know, the criticism of even the timing of this statement is being used as another diversion.

RUSH: "You ever have moments of doubt, feeling that you would like the comfort of not having to deal with this all the time?"

PALIN:  Other people are facing much greater hardships and making greater sacrifices than I am in just engaging in debate and I'm thankful for the opportunity that I have to speak for many, and I will continue to do so. I feel very blessed to be in the position that I am and I'll take the darts and the arrows because I know others have my back, and I have their back.

1 comment:

Jim G. said...

Why do I defend Palin in this case? I don't agree with her political philosophy: She is an arch conservative. I am a liberal with sanity. I know that I am setting myself up for attack when I ask, why did Emile Zola defend Dreyfus? Palin is no Dreyfus and I am certainly no Zola. But all of us have an obligation, particularly those in politics and public office, to denounce, when we can, the perpetrators of horrendous libels and stand up for those falsely charged. We should denounce unfair, false and wicked charges not only when they are made against ourselves, our friends or our political party but against those with whom we disagree. If we are to truly change the poisonous political atmosphere that we all complain of, including those who create it, we should speak up for fairness when we can.

In the 2008 presidential race when Sarah Palin's name was first offered to the public by John McCain as his running mate, I said at the time that she "scared the hell out of me." My reference was to the content of her remarks, not to her power to persuade voters.

It was McCain who lost the presidential election, not Palin. Since that time she has established that she has enormous power to persuade people. A self-made woman who rose from PTA mother to Governor of Alaska, she is one of the few speakers in public life who can fill a stadium. Her books are enormous successes. Her television program about Alaska has been a critical and economic success. When Sarah Palin addresses audiences, they rise to their feet in support and applause. She is without question a major leader of the far right faction in the Republican Party and its ally the Tea Party.

I repeat my earlier comment that she "scares the hell out of me." Nevertheless, she is entitled to fair and respectful treatment. The fools in politics today in both parties are those who think she is dumb. I've never met her, but I've always thought that she is highly intelligent but not knowledgeable in many areas and politically uninformed. I don't believe she will run for president in 2012 or that she would be elected if she did. But I do believe she is equal in ability to many of those in the Republican Party seeking that office.

Many women understand what she has done for their cause. She will not be silenced nor will she leave the heavy lifts to the men in her Party. She will not be falsely charged, remain silent, and look for others - men - to defend her. She is plucky and unafraid.

While I disagree with her and I am prepared to oppose her politically, in the spirit of longed-for civility I say, Ms. Palin you are in a certain sense an example of the American dream: You have the courage to stand up and present your vision of America to its people. Your strength and lack of fear make America stronger and are examples to be emulated by girls and boys, men and women who are themselves afraid to speak up. You provide the example that they need for self-assurance.

Ed Koch is the former Mayor of New York City.