Friday, February 19, 2010

Brit Hume will be Disappointed

The news of the day was Tiger Woods mea culpa, which received extensive airtime on all of the news networks. I confess, I just don't get it. He obviously owes his wife an apology and probably his sponsors, but everyone else? I know he is a "public figure" which carries with it less legal protections regarding slander and libel, but does the public have any moral right to be involved in this very private and personal matter?

He apparently rejected Brit Hume's extremely presumptuous advice to ditch his faith for Christianity, but still felt compelled to talk about his Buddhist upbringing today. I was embarrassed by the blanket coverage and what a shallow, nosy population we have become. Can't a great athlete ply his craft without signing on for all the drama? As a society, we have a lot of nerve thinking it is our business. What am I missing? Am I wrong?

2 comments:

Mark Chaney said...

I could care less about the Tiger saga. However, Tiger constantly sought the limelight and is paying the price. You can't have it both ways. He portrayed himself with a squeaky clean image. Some athletes carry themselves with grace and class. Roger Federer (who is a very good friend of Tiger's), Pete Sampras and Kurt Warner come to mind. If the same thing happened to any of these guys it would have been a blip on the radar screen. Then there are idiots like Charles Barkley, and nobody thinks twice about his dalliances because he is such a slob anyway. The funniest to watch are the politicians Mark Sanford comes to mind - what an idiot. I have to give his wife credit though - she did not appear with him. The worst was McGreevey - I felt so sorry for his wife when she appeared with him. I don't know why she did, she looked blind-sided. Bottom line don't make yourself out to be something you are not.

terry said...

This is between a husband and wife period. It tells us a lot about ourselves when three major networks carry the apology live, the stock market stops trading for 13 minutes, and world EXPECTS him to answer OUR questions.
Get real we have dumbed down and Rome is burning.
I admire Barkley for one thing and that is his statement I am not a role model and don't put that label on me. The only thing I want to hear from the Michael Jordan's is how to shoot a jump shot don't tell me how to raise kids or be a family man.
Like Glenn Beck and Rush telling us how to live after they f---- their life lives up soo bad. The problem with the Tiger apology is he has set the bar so high for him to live up to now. "I will be the man of integrity, the man of honor etc."
Tiger hit two irons and shut up you are human. Tell your wife don't tell me. I am not interested.