Thursday, January 7, 2010

CHANGE FROM THE MIDDLE????

None of these changes, these movements forward, came easily. All involved (or still involve) putting the issue right into the faces of the "average" US citizen and making us really look at the truth of the matter. All had some kind of "spark" or rallying point or charismatic leader.

Change never came from the middle... never has change came from the safety of the "status quo". The middle wants to keeps things the same--change is scary, so let's not do it. Conservatives like change even less-- let's go back to when change hadn't even begun- to "the good old days."

I am a progressive- a fairly liberal one, in fact. I want my country to keep moving forward. I want my country to examine itself and keep what works and fix what doesn't. After all, isn't that how we make progress?

Lots of what people take for granted today started out as pretty radical ideas. I hope that lots of what people take for granted 50 years from now comes from what we are now trying to accomplish.

How do we get there? How do we pull America forward? How do we nudge her towards her future?

No comments: