Thursday, February 26, 2009

Obama's Salary Cap

I heard Obama claim that people who make more than 250K will pay higher taxes to help pay for healthcare for the other 95% of hard-working Americans. I had no idea that anyone who made more than 250K were such lazy slugs who inherited all of their wealth. Really? Well, guess how some people who flirt with that watermark might react. Tuesday night our son goes to a church activity and my wife and I normally go out to eat while we have a quiet moment together. Not this Tuesday. As a matter of fact we've taken it out of our budget and eat at home. Too bad local restaurant owner, we're on a budget now. Obama's budget. Guess who's going to start mowing his lawn now. Sorry small business lawn care service, we're on a budget now. Obama's budget. You get the idea? Get used to this recession, because the people who can help most are on a budget and their not going to be spending any of their precious overtaxed incomes any time soon.
Go Liberals!!

5 comments:

terry said...

I feel so very sorry for you. Let me know when you are actually going to mow your own lawn so I may verify your claim, by taking a picture of someone making over 250,000 a year doing their own lawn. People who can help the most I agree should help by paying a little more taxes, and restoring the middle class who will spend more, not claim to spend more.

Gary Ponzo said...

I wasn't looking for sympathy. The point is small business owners rely on more affluent clients to pay for their mortgages and send their kids to college. When I'm looking to save money it affects everyone and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with this thinking.
By the way, I'm not saying I'm in that tax bracket, I'm saying I could be if I work even harder than I do, but with the salary cap, there's no incentive and therefore less taxes for the government.

Baxter said...

Same marginal rate as the '90's when Clinton balanced the budget. The 1993 budget bill passed without one Republican vote. The GOP leadership howled about the recession that the legislation would surely cause. Remember the '90's?

Jim G. said...

We have argued this before Gary and it is quite frustrating.

Somehow they believe that the group paying for the party should not enjoy any benefits when taxes are cut.

To paraphrase: where do you think all the wealth is in this country. Let them pay more!

I paraphrase: do the math, if we have a progressive tax system already and we make it more progressive then the group paying will pay an even higher percentage.

But, there is no arguing with "them". Remember, "we wasted the surplus on the rich".

Personally, I am offended (and have less wealth after recent equity events). Charity is no longer a priority and having my life effort suffering demagoguery is not going to help make it one.

And, let me not let this opportunity pass without again stating, all citizens should pay some income taxes.

Baxter said...

We are simply going back to a progressive tax schedule that worked. All this penurious whining is unattractive.

I have long argued that you guys need to DO THE MATH. I even provided you with exhibits showing patterns of revenues and spending in the post war era.

I agree about everyone paying a little - even a token amount - provided they are above the poverty line. You can blame Bush + GOP for the current system. They removed all the little folk that paid few taxes as a fig leaf when they cut taxes for the rich in 2001 + 2003.